From the 55th B-52G onward (58-0159), ability to carry the North American GAM-77 (later AGM-28 Hound Dog Missile) Hound Dog air-launched cruise missile was added. An underwing pylon was added inboard of the inner engine pods underneath each wing, one Hound Dog being carried on each pylon. Earlier B-52Gs were upgraded by 1962 with Hound Dog capability, as well as some earlier B-52s. All versions from the B-52C onward are known to have carried the Hound Dog at some time in their careers.
The first Hound Dog-equipped B-52G unit was the 4135th Strategic Wing, based at Eglin AFB in Florida. This unit first deployed in December of 1959. A total of 28 Stratofortress squadrons eventually received the Hound Dog.
The B-52G could also carry up to four McDonnell GAM-72 (later ADM-20 Quail Missle) Quail decoy missiles internally in the extreme rear of the weapons bay. The first Quails began to join the 4135th Strategic Wing at Eglin AFB in late 1960. A total of 14 Stratofortress squadrons eventually received the Quail.